A new site promoting the next generation of musical theatre writers was launched tonight with a concert featuring (amongst others) Kelli O’Hara, Krysta Rodriguez, De’Adre Aziza and Kate Wetherhead.
The “New Musical Theatre” website aims to help distribute and promote new musicals through the sale of digital sheet music, allowing ‘fans to directly support writers when they need it most – before their shows go to Broadway’.
Here’s a list of writers represented on the site, along with some of their projects:
- Adam Gwon (Ordinary Days, The Boy Detective Fails, Ethan Frome)
- Gaby Alter (Band Geeks)
- Georgia Stitt (Big Red Sun, Sing Me A Happy Song, Mosaic)
- Jeff Blumenkrantz (Woman with Pocketbook, Precious Little Jewel)
- Jeremy Schonfeld (Drift, 37 Notebooks)
- Joe Iconis (The Black Suits, ReWrite, The Plant That Ate Dirty Socks)
- Jonathan Reid Gealt (Forward)
- Kait Kerrigan and Brian Lowdermilk (Henry and Mudge, Tales from the Bad Years)
- Michael Kooman and Christopher Dimond (Golden Gate, Homemade Fusion)
- Michael Friedman (Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson, Gone Missing)
- Nick Blaemire (Glory Days, Finding Robert Hutchens)
- Benj Pasek and Justin Paul (Edges, James and the Giant Peach, Dogfight)
- Paul Gordon (Jane Eyre, Daddy Long Legs, Little Miss Scrooge)
- Ryan Scott Oliver (Mrs Sharp, Darling, Out of My Head).
- Joshua Salzman and Ryan Cunningham (I Love You Because, Queen Esther)
I hope everyone who reads this will support this worthy endeavor that supports the continuing development of musicals as a form of theatre to be reckoned with. Musical Cyberspace extends the best of wishes and congratulations to NewMusicalTheatre.com!