May is a mad month. A month of random musings about various topics related to musical theatre. Today’s post is more about me and my life in the theatre in general. Here are 20 more questions that together form a fun theatre survey. Feel free to copy and paste and add your answers in the comment box, if you’d like!
1. WHAT ARE YOU AUDITIONING FOR NEXT?: No idea. I am in a writing phase as well as preparing to direct Into the Woods.
2. DO YOU KEEP IN TOUCH WITH PAST CAST MEMBERS?: Generally, yes.
3. SOMETHING EMBARRASSING OR UNEXPECTED THAT HAPPENED TO YOU WHILE ON STAGE?: One night in South Pacific, my pocket watch (which was solid and heavy) bounced when Bloody Mary threw it onto the ground and rolled into a tiny gap next to the proscenium arch, dropping all the way down into the basement. It was unexpected, not embarrassing, but it did make the introduction to the reprise of “Younger Than Springtime”, during which time I usually went to pick it up and lament over its return, seem really long.
4. EVER BEEN NAKED ONSTAGE?: Nope.
5. HAVE YOU EVER BEEN KILLED?: Yep.
6. BEEN DRUNK?: Nope.
7. PLAYED SOMEONE HALF YOUR AGE?: Almost. I look much younger than I am, so it has kind of happened once or twice.
8. PLAYED SOMEONE TWICE YOUR AGE?: Sure, when I was in high school and pretty much everyone was.
9. CRIED?: Yes.
10. FIRED A GUN? No.
11. BEEN DRENCHED? No. In the only production I was in where there was rain (Evita), I was far downstage preserving Eva’s body.
12. PLAYED AN ANIMAL? Yes. A rapping rat in a children’s theatre play.
13. BEEN IN A DREAM SEQUENCE? I don’t think so.
14. BEEN KISSED?: Yes, in South Pacific and Marry Me A Little.
15. WORST COSTUME YOU’VE WORN? For a few years I did appearances as a character promoting a brand of potato chips. Hot, smelly, horrid.
16. PLAYED OPPOSITE A REAL-LIFE RELATIONSHIP? No.
17. STOLEN ANY PROPS/COSTUMES? No. But I have been given the odd piece.
18. FAVOURITE THEATRE MEMORY: The opening night of Over the Rainbow, the musical I wrote with Jacqui Kowen in 2002.
19. HOW MANY COMPANIES HAVE YOU WORKED WITH? No idea.
20. IF YOU COULD PLAY A CHARACTER OF THE OPPOSITE GENDER, WHICH ONE WOULD IT BE? Phyllis in Follies.